[Linux-cluster] Software Iscsi with Redhat Cluster

Ryan Thomson thomsonr at ucalgary.ca
Wed Jan 11 08:46:45 UTC 2006

Tristram,

I'm mounting iSCSI targets on my cluster nodes. The iSCSI target machines
are not cluster nodes but they do exist on the same private subnet as the
cluster nodes. I then put my iSCSI mounts into a cluster aware volume
group and create volumes inside that volume group. I then format my
volumes with GFS and mount them on the appropriate nodes. Some volumes are
mounted on all nodes, some are not.

I'm doing it this way because I find it *much* easier to manage my volumes
from the cluster nodes instead of the independent storage devices. I
realize clvmd isn't for everyone though.

Either way, my experience with the major Linux software iSCSI drivers is
pretty good. I assume you get much better performance with high end disk
if you use an iSCSI HBA instead of loading your server CPU but it works
for me at near local speeds of my 3ware SATA RAID5 disk servers.

The nice thing about this whole setup is I *can* use FC or GNBD or
Infiniband->(I think, dont quote me) later if I want as anything I can
mount on the cluster nodes as a block device can be utilized as shared
storage. For us, this was a "selling" point for RHCS/GFS. We had disk we
wanted to include in a SAN environment with the ability to add any kind of
backend storage we want. RHCS/GFS delivered.

--
Ryan Thomson

Ryan