[Linux-cluster] SAN file system to be shared to multiple nodes

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Wed Jan 11 15:35:15 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 15:03 -0700, rturnbull wrote:

>     Anyways, I know there is kinda two versions of GFS. The Redhat GFS
> or the OpenGFS project.

> I'm fine with OpenGFS and getting that to work.
> However the first things that I come across are kernel patches to make
> this work.  Is there any kernel patches for 2.4.26 kernels. I noticed
> its 2.4.20 and 2.4.22 but nothing for 2.4.26.

I'd see if it applies or not.

>     Who is the best to contact for support on OpenGFS?  Sounds like the
> project is well, dead at the moment.....

I hope I have my facts straight here, so if I'm wrong, please correct me
(anyone)...

OpenGFS was created as a fork of then-current GFS code when Sistina
decided to close up GFS and try to make money selling it.  IIRC, it uses
the IBM OpenDLM for locking.  Eventually Sistina merged with Red Hat,
and GFS was re-released under the GPL, thereby eliminating the original
reason OpenGFS was created.

The 6.0 code base is runs on 2.4.x kernels, but is really only in
"maintenance mode" at this point -- no new features are being added.

The 6.1 code base - which became the foundation of the linux-cluster
project was an evolutionary step in decoupling GFS from the cluster
infrastructure, thereby allowing both client-server and
fully-distributed locking models.

> >GFS (6.1) does not require a server - for locks or data.  There is a
> >distributed lock manager for managing internal metadata and POSIX locks,
> >and all clients have direct access to the SAN storage.

... with that evolution comes a cost.  GFS 6.1 only works on 2.6 kernels
- :(  So, unless Slack 10.2. has a 2.6 update, you might have trouble.

With 6.0.x (and previous versions), you *need* to set up lock masters.

-- Lon