[Linux-cluster] DLM or GULM?

Troels Arvin troels at arvin.dk
Sun Jan 15 19:59:28 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm setting up two RHEL 4 servers (HP DL380G4) in a fail-over solution,
using Red Hat Cluster Suite. The two servers are both connected to a HP
MSA 500G2 RAID storage system (which has two SCSI connectors).

I don't have plans about using GFS at the moment: Only one server will be
mounting the shared storage system at a time. I plan on using iLO fencing.

The Red Hat Cluster Suite documentation mentions that either DLM or GULM
should be used for lock management. However, the documentation doesn't
cover on what basis the choice should be made.

When would DLM be the best choice, and when would GULM be the lock manager
to go for?

--
Greetings from Troels Arvin