[Linux-cluster] Cluster Suite v3 software watchdog

Steven Dake sdake at mvista.com
Tue Jan 3 19:01:39 UTC 2006

depends on arch and if standard kernel.org is modified.  Kernel.org does
the following:
x86_64 has nmi_watchdog default to off
i386 has nmi watchdog default to on

no other arches have nmi watchdog that I am aware of.

The nmi watchdog simply prints out a backtrace when interrupts are off
for too long.  This occurs because of a buggy software driver or kernel
code that clears interrupts on a processor and doesn't reenable them.
Hence, the nmi watchdog is not fed, and it triggers a stack backtrace
(instead of a total lockup) which allows someone experienced in
development to find the source of the offending lock and fix the kernel
code.

I really doubt if you are using any commercial vendor kernel with
supplied drivers you will encounter this sort of failure; this feature
is generally used during development of kernel code.

Some vendor kernels do special things when an nmi watchdog occurs, like
take a system memory dump and then reboot, to allow debugging of the
crash by the vendor at a later time.

Regards
-steve