[Linux-cluster] loading Red Hat on multiple nodes

David Golden dgolden at cp.dias.ie
Wed Jan 18 12:48:31 UTC 2006

> > I received a question concerning Red Hat and wanted to see what the opinions
> > are of everyone here.
> >
> >  "Which software is best to load the Redhat Hat Linux ES4 on 150-odd nodes
> >from one cluster management node?"

SystemImager vs. Rocks Avalanche (bittorrent-enhanced kickstart), I
guess.  SystemImager's more general-purpose (e.g. not limited
to redhatoids, easily used for updating with up-to-the-minute
patched images), but its "Flamethrower" distribution method (to
make it vaguely throughput-competitive with avalanche) uses multicast
and therefore depends on multicast working right and is generally
a bit more  brittle (it's 'casting, so the installs have to be
synchronised).

There's nothing stopping someone writing a bittorrent patch
for systemimager I guess, to get the best of both worlds.

http://www.rocksclusters.org/
http://www.systemimager.org/