[Linux-cluster] gfs_tool df question

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Fri Jan 20 18:38:39 UTC 2006

Jonathan E Brassow wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2006, at 11:44 AM, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>
> > I am trying to understand the information provided by "gfs_tool df".
> >
> > When I run it on my system, I get this:
> >
> >   Type           Total          Used           Free           use%

> >   - inodes         2697580        2697580        0              100%
> >   metadata       104195         21410          82785          21%
> >   data           290040505      23167          290017338      0%
> >
> > I figured out that the data row is reporting used and free space in
> > blocks and the inode row is self-explanatory, but what is
> > "metadata"? Do I need to be concerned that metadata is 21% used
> > while data hasn't even hit 1% yet?
>
> GFS will allocate more metadata blocks when it needs them.  (Same
> thing with the inodes.)

Ok.  That answers one question, although I'm still not quite sure what
metadata IS.

Now, if I'm reading the above information correctly, it's showing that
my data is taking up 23167 blocks which is about 90M and the metadata is
taking up another 90M or so.  However, when I check the usage of the
filesystem with 'du', I get this:

    # du -sh mailboxes
    11G     mailboxes

Now 180M is nowhere near 11G!  Am I reading something wrong?  Why am I
getting different numbers?  I tend to think that the du is more
accurate as that is the amount of usage that I expected to see.

Now I'm really confused...

--
Bowie