[Linux-cluster] Performance Issue: GNBD Server Multithreaded per client / Async IO

Leonardo Rodrigues de Mello leonardo.mello at planejamento.gov.br
Tue Jan 31 23:13:00 UTC 2006

I had read the message of Benjamin Marzinski(redhat staff), in reply to
Raz Ben-Jehuda in the topic "Reduced performance question" in this list,
and have some comments about it.
Benjamin Marzinski state that GNBD server use only one thread per
client. This scenario have bad performance issues as described in the
message. I believe using multithreaded in the server/client comunication
will give us better performance for simultaneous process accessing the
gnbd device, and use more bandwidth available in the network
interconnect. There is any planning or possibility to implement this ?
And about async io ?
the roadmap of gnbd doesnt have planning of implementing it ?
thereis one public roadmap of cluster-suite ?
i believe beside gnbd and iscsi have the same proposal of giving access
to a block device over network, they have different concept design
issues and places that are better to be used.
Is redhat planning to substitute gnbd with iscsi ? if don't i believe
that improving gnbd performance is critical, and need to be done.

my 2 cents.

Leonardo Mello