[Linux-cluster] newbie questions

Riaan van Niekerk riaan at obsidian.co.za
Mon Jul 10 08:42:59 UTC 2006

> That brings me to an important point - the apache init script doesn't
> follow whatever standard RedHat init script are supposed to follow
> (there's a thread about this that I was involved in 6-9 months back),
> with respect to the status command.  At least, it didn't at the time,
> maybe they've fixed it (I hope, by now).  The stop action return(s/ed)
> non-zero (failure) if apache wasn't running.  If the cluster manager
> thinks that service was failed, it will first try to stop it before
> starting it.  If the apache script returns failure on the attempt to
> stop it because it was stopped already, then the cluster manager will
> think something's wrong and never try to start it.  The upshot of which
> is, you have to hack the init script to make it return 0 in this
> situation.  I took the copout approach of just forcing it to always
> return 0:

Is this a problem with the Apache init script or with the rgmanager
logic? The same thing happens no matter which service you run: vsftpd,
sendmail (I just checked these additional two).

I haven't checked LSB (or whatever is the standard which init scripts
need to conform to) but as far as I understand it, you will get non-zero
exit code if you try to stop an already stopped service, which confuses
the heck out of rgmanager and requires that you (a) start the service
(e.g. apache) manually. (b) disable it via clusvcadm or GUI (c) enable
it via clusvcadm or GUI.

This recovery sequence makes no sense to me (nor does rgmanager /
clusvcadm's logic)

Riaan