[Linux-cluster] Re: Does GFS support MD multi-device in a two node cluster?

Benjamin Marzinski bmarzins at redhat.com
Wed Jul 12 18:44:44 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 02:34:20AM +0800, jOe wrote:
>    On 7/11/06, jOe <[1]smartjoe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>      Hello All,
>
>      We want to confirm that GFS support SCSI based MD multi-device
>      configuration?
>
>      Server: HP dl380g4 x 2, each has 4-port additional array adapter
>      installed
>      Storage: HP MSA500g2, SCSI array disk system, has 4-port option
>      installed, support 4 SCSI cable connect to this system.(4 individual
>      physical server or two server with dual SCSI path.)
>      OS: RHEL4U3
>
>      We've already deployed RHCS on it (without GFS) and use linux's MD
>      multi-device for SCSI multi-path. (merge two lun path from the disk
>      array to single failover path.  /dev/sda+/dev/sdb ->/dev/md0)
>
>      Question: Can we deploy GFS on such hardware configuration and is it
>      possible to create GFS on MD multi-device ? Any pros and cons?
>
>      Thanks a lot,
>      --
>      Joe Yu
>
>    Anyone know my questions?
>    Thanks,

I haven't tried it, but it should work just fine.

Cons: I don't know how much active development ther is on MD.  There is
currently a lot of work on device-mapper multipathing, so if you have a
problem, it's a lot easier to get help if you are using DM multipathing..
Pros: You're already using MD multipathing and presumably, are happy with it.

-Ben