RHCS and drbd integration (was Re: [Linux-cluster] High Availability option)

Riaan van Niekerk riaan at obsidian.co.za
Fri Jul 14 09:07:20 UTC 2006

> Hi Stephen,
>
> We've build a very similar HA Cluster with multiple network RAID1 block
> devices some month ago with RHES 4U3 / RHCS 6.1 and DRBD.  After some
> fight with the start scripts of RHCS we're now in production with a
> postgresql DB, some application servers and also a huge NFS share
> exported to a front end RHCS cluster. All the 'services' use its own
> block devices  mirrored by DRBD to a second machine.
>
> Till now everything is running very well and speedy.
> There is only one thing to mention, if you have multiple DRBD block
> devices to replicate you should have different mirror groups for the
> replication in the DRBD config. Otherwise it is very easy to saturate
> even a gig eth.
>

> Greetings
> 	Andreas

hi Andreas

Would you care to share you startup scripts? I have looked at drbd as a
shared storage replacement in RHCS 4. However the fact that drbd expects
promote and demote as script/service parameters (for the heartbeat
package drbd resource scripts) and RHCS only understands stop/start,
some scripting will need to happen. Please let us others interested in
this combination not have the same fight.

If there is anyone else using drbd with RHCS 4, I would really
appreciate it if you could post the relevant scripts which will make
rgmanager play nice with drbd.

To anyone that knows LVM mirroring: if LVM mirroring becomes stable,
will it negate the need for drbd?

To anoyone familiar with Fedora and the inclusion of new features /
packages. What would it take to make drbd part of FC and the new cluster
middleware in FC (and potentially RHEL). Or (again), will LVM mirroring
negate that requirement?

thank you in advance
Riaan