[Linux-cluster] ipmi fencing

James Parsons jparsons at redhat.com
Wed Jul 19 14:34:16 UTC 2006

Jie Gao wrote:

>Hi All
>
>I am trialing clustering and GFS on RHEL AS U4. I am using the ipmi
>agent for fencing in a two-node setup.
>
>I have noticed that the agent sends "power off" to the node to be
>fenced. This is causes the node fenced to shut down uncleanly.
>
>I'd rather that it used the "power soft" option first and then used
>"power off" as the last resort.
>
>After all, what good use a corrupt system can serve?
>
>Regards,
>

>Jie
>
>--

Hard power off is done purposely. After all, what good is a cluster that
doesn't fence a misbehaving node as quickly as possible? :)

I guess you could change line 210 in ipmilan.c to read:
"%s chassis power soft", cmd);
and then recompile,
which would do an acpi shutdown, if acpi is enabled, but I REALLY REALLY
DON'T recommend this! We even recommend to users that acpi be disabled
so that fencing can happen as quickly as possible - before your data on
shared storage is toast.

Regards,

-J