[Linux-cluster] Unify or split different services across nodes?

Ivan Pantovic ivanp at yu.net
Fri Jul 28 14:13:47 UTC 2006

Hi to ya all, this might be interesting question here...

We have fairly stable cluster now with 10 nodes running smtp and pop3.
We divided service across cluster so we have 6 smtp nodes and 4 pop3 nodes.

I'm not sure why this was the setup but it is ;)

Does anyone know is there performance penalty for such distribution of
services or one unified node running both services (smtp+pop3) would
somehow do better?

How i see this is that it is better to have one unified node both for
better distribution when there is a higher load on one service and also
easer replacement of failed nodes, but is there something related to how
gfs is operating to support this theory?

I plan to conduct some light testing using three nodes in simulated
workload environment to actually see is there a feasible difference or
this is all marginal philosophy.

I think this also might be a good pointer when people do cluster
planning so I'm anxious to here some comments ...

--
Ivan Pantovic, System Engineer
-----