[Linux-cluster] Postgresql under RHCS4

Riaan van Niekerk riaan at obsidian.co.za
Tue Jun 13 09:44:25 UTC 2006

> > You don't need a replication system there. Use an SAN :)
> >

> And now we have a SPOF - SAN or NAS... how to get beyond that?

If you do not have or want a SAN, you can investigate one of the replicated file
systems or block devices. Here are some:

- Radiant Data PeerFS (we had a customer running this but had too many
problems and had to disable it.)

- NetVault Replicator (http://www.bakbone.com/products/replication/) -
looks pretty good, but havent tried it myself. They even have a whitepaper
on using Replicator with GFS on the above page.

- DRBD (Distributed Replicated Block Device) - www.drdb.org
and with commercial support at http://www.linbit.com/linhac_drbd.html?L=1
They are my preferred choice (based on a hands-off evaluation) since they are
OSS, but the documentation is not quite there yet, relative to the other
two.

If anyone has had good/bad experiences with these or any other replicated
block devices / file systems, myself (and I am sure the original author)
would like to hear them. I have a significant number of smaller customers
who want HA and RHCS, but a SAN is just not a cost-effective option in
those environments.

Riaan