[Linux-cluster] network tiebreaker required for a two node cluster?

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at cc.kuleuven.be
Thu Jun 22 09:49:25 UTC 2006

Re: [Linux-cluster] Why Redhat replace quorum partition/lock lun	with
new fencing mechanisms?

Kevin Anderson wrote:
> If you have access to shared storage, then a two node cluster with
> quorum disk/fencing would be a better configuration and could be the
> recommended configuration.  However, there are still cases where you
> could have a two node cluster with no shared storage.  Depends on how
> the application is sharing state or accessing data.  But for an
> active/passive two node failover cluster, I can see where the quorum
> disk will be very popular.
>
> Kevin

When configuring the cluquorumd for a two node cluster (active-active
nfs server), the GUI recommends using a network tiebreaker ip address.
Why is that?

Under heavier network load, we occasionally see one of the members
(usually the highest priority member) reporting that the connection to
the tiebreaker is offline.  It subsequently gets fenced by the other
node, and simply reboots.
(FWIIW, we checked the network cards, cables, and switch and
swithc-ports between the two nodes.  The system that holds the TB
address is currently waiting to be re-installed, so it's pretty much idle.)

I thought the network tiebreaker was meant to avoid a split-brain
cluster, but if it isn't, needless to say, we'd be happy to get rid of it.

Kind regards,

Herta