[Linux-cluster] partitioning of filesystems in cluster nodes

Robert Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Thu Jun 22 14:40:24 UTC 2006

RR wrote:
> Right, it is indeed what I want to do. But now let me understand the basics
> of GFS. GFS actually runs on the SAN but the GFS drivers/software that I
> install on each of my cluster node just allows each of these nodes to see
> these volumes? Something analogous to say iscsi-initiators on a node to via
> the LUNs on an iSCSI SAN? If that's true, then is it possible for me to say
> have my /opt/local installed on the GFS managed filesystem on the SAN such
> that whatever application is installed once in this directory can be
> accessed by all  nodes mounting that filesystem? So kind of get install
> once, use everywhere kind of a deal?
>
> Thanks so much
> RR

Hi RR,

GFS is the file system that runs on each of the nodes in the cluster.
It's basically a
kernel device driver that controls how and where the data is stored on a
logical
volume.  In order to make a bunch of computers ("nodes") cooperatively
share the
data on a SAN, you need GFS's ability to coordinate with a cluster
locking protocol.
One such cluster locking protocol is dlm, the distributed lock manager,
which is also
a kernel device driver.  It's job is to ensure that nodes in the cluster
who share the
data on the SAN don't corrupt each other's data.

Since GFS manages the contents of a logical volume, there is still the
underlying
logical volume manager, LVM, that takes care of things like spanning
physical
volumes, striping, hardware and software RAID, mirroring and such.
For GFS, there is a special version of LVM called LVM2 that is needed, but
not much changes other than the locking protocol specified in
/etc/lvm/lvm.conf.

This only applies to RHEL4, by the way.  The web page you referenced was for
RHEL3, and in RHEL3 the only mirroring available was md - which GFS does not
work with.  GFS will only work with device-mapper (LVM2) mirroring
(specifically cluster mirroring).

Now there are lots of other little pieces to Cluster Suite besides GFS
that are
necessary to make a cluster work:  (1) Fencing protects your data from
split-brain
corruption when a node has hardware failure and stops communicating.
(2) Cluster manager (CMAN) handles communications between nodes.
(3) Resource Group Manager (rgmanager) handles the starting, stopping and
moving of cluster services such as NFS when nodes fail, etc. (if you
have any).
I hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob Peterson