[Linux-cluster] files with unknown state - locking problem?

German Staltari gstaltari at arnet.net.ar
Fri Jun 23 22:23:05 UTC 2006

Robert Peterson wrote:
> I suspect you are right: The question marks in ls -l leads me to
> believe there
> might be a problem somewhere regarding the locking of the files.  My
> theory is this:
> ls -l calls a kernel stat function to get file statistics.  The stat
> tries to acquire an internal
> lock (glock), but can't, so it displays what you see instead of valid
> values.
>
> Perhaps courier imap is locking files, then hanging, and the process
> is somehow
> hanging around with the lock intact, or else killed abnormally where
> the lock is not released.
> Do you have any suggestions how we can recreate this problem in our lab?

Robert, here is the scenario: we have a pool of webmail servers
accessing mailboxes in the cluster via IMAP (courier-imap 3.0.8). One
user may hit the mailbox a couple of times in a short period of time
when using the webmail (webmail is stateless, so it has to reread all
mailbox structure in each webmail action).

Maybe the problem is in courier-imap, so I was digging it's source code,
and found all locking stuff in liblock and maildir directories
(maildir/maildirlock.c -> maildir_lock(), liblock/mail.c ->
ll_dotlock()). I know that we are not debugging courier-imap, but it may
help.
I found a post of Lon
http://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-cluster/2004-October/msg00306.html,
that recommends using IMAP_USELOCKS and I've checked our conf and it's
enabled.

So, maybe the best way to recreate the problem is installing
courier-imap, and access a mailbox user from different clients at the
same time (in a short period of time would be best).
I hope this helps,
Thanks for your help and time,
German

So, I think it could be possible