[Linux-cluster] best csgfs howto not presuming/requiring gui

Kevin Anderson kanderso at redhat.com
Tue Jun 27 18:30:37 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 12:57 -0500, Robert Peterson wrote:
> Larry Vaden wrote:

> The plan, as I understand it, is to support GULM locking for RHEL4, but
> starting with RHEL5, GULM will no longer be supported in favor of DLM.
> That may alarm some people because Oracle is only certified to work with
> GULM today, but needless to say, we'll be going through re-certification
> with Oracle for RHEL5, so we will have alternatives.  It's pretty simple
> to switch from GULM to DLM and back anyway.

Also, the new upstream DLM has the ability to be configured in a
client/server model arrangement, where all lock requests go to specific
DLM nodes rather than being resolved locally.  You can tune the usage to
your configuration and still have dedicated lock manager servers if you
choose.  This capability makes GuLM redundant with the DLM functionality
and doesn't make sense to continue to port GuLM forward and support.

I think Dave Teigland has documented how to do it in either previous
mailings or on the website, will let him comment with the details.

Thanks
Kevin