[Linux-cluster] Httpd Process io blocked

Marc Grimme grimme at atix.de
Tue Mar 7 11:12:13 UTC 2006

Hi,
to debug you could use strace. E.g. executing strace -p 14970 will probably
show you that the process is waiting for a lock. As the ps already does. My
first guess would be, that you use apache with php and sessions.

If so, the phplib uses flocks for locking the session-ids. Normally it happens
that one process locks a session. If another process comes along to get an
flock on that session it has to wait until the further flock is closed. It
very often happens that the other process gets that flock when the client and
session are not available any more. Then the flock is held until the apache
process timesout.

We have made a patch for a better locking with php which you can find on
http:/www.open-sharedroot.org in the downloads section.
Hope that helps
Regards Marc.