[Linux-cluster] samba on gfs

Patton, Matthew F, CTR, OSD-PA&E Matthew.Patton.ctr at osd.mil
Wed Mar 15 13:40:52 UTC 2006

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

I'm setting up 40 blade servers each with direct access to a shared FC SAN
volume and mounted GFS and serving it up via both SAMBA and NFS to ~10
virtual machines (XEN and VMWARE) local to that blade. I don't expect the
unix VM's to use SAMBA (exception might be HOMEDIRs) nor the Windows VM's to
use NFS, but otherwise it's active/active. NFS will also be used to rootless
boot the XEN/VMWARE virtual machines that run Linux.

So that's 40 independent SAMBA servers all potentially serving the same
files located on the common GFS volume. Think I'm headed for trouble? That
config would come in handy.