[Linux-cluster] rhcs doubts.

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Wed Mar 15 16:15:25 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 15:27 -0300, Allyson - Listas wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm new at redhat cluster suite.  Could Anybody help me in some questions?
>
> 1st) I installed rhcs on 2 virtual machines and create a new cluster,
> setup a manual fence, a failvoer domain, create a IP resource and a
> service that uses just that IP for tests. Well, I'd like to know how can
> I force a failover of the service between nodes. This option is not
> available at system-config-cluster that allow just disable and enable
> the service.

Drag it to the other node in the gui.

> I noticed that the ip service created is not a virtual
> interface like eth0:1, but it was working because I could ping it, Is it
> Normal?

Yes, try "/sbin/ip addr list", which is noted in the documentation.

> 2nd) What is the real fuction of a fence device?

Prevent data corruption in the event of a live-hang of a node with
outstanding dirty buffers.

> 3rd) How can I setup a quorum device, and isn't necessary for a failover
> service?  I read that it was needed at rhel3 but at rhel4 is not
> anymore, could you explain me that.

What do you need to know?  It's not needed because of the way CMAN
recovers - see

http://people.redhat.com/teigland/sca.pdf

-- Lon