[Linux-cluster] RHCS4 rgmanager/clurmgrd problem

Greg Forte gforte at leopard.us.udel.edu
Thu Mar 16 20:26:43 UTC 2006

this has been covered, previously, but in brief:

a) the cluster services try to stop a service before starting it when
you enable it
b) it expects the "/etc/init.d/service stop" command to return 0,
indicating that there was no problem
c) many of the stock service scripts return non-zero if you try to stop
them when they're not running

depending on your point of view, (c) is the "correct" behavior or not;
in the case of cluster services, it's obviously not.  For the purposes
of cluster services, the script should only return non-zero on the
'stop' command if the service was, in fact, running, and the script
failed to stop it.  A better solution than simply returning 0
braindeadly would be to check the output of the script's 'status'
command, and only attempt the stop if it's actually running, then return
non-zero if the stop fails, 0 (success) if the stop succeeds OR it
wasn't running in the first place.  But that's a lot of work.  ;-)

-g