[Linux-cluster] RAIDing a CLVM?

Patton, Matthew F, CTR, OSD-PA&E Matthew.Patton.ctr at osd.mil
Tue Mar 21 21:45:43 UTC 2006

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

call this a screwy idea and I can't seem to find a relevant thread.

my cluster is made up of machines each with a SINGLE hard drive. I want to
use 1/2 of each disk and pool them all together and make a RAID 10 or 5 set.
And then be able to access said volume RW from any node and should a node
die, the filesystem keeps running.

I can't think of a way to combine (C)LVM, GFS, GNBD, and MD (software RAID)
and make it work unless just one of the nodes becomes the MD master and then
just exports it via NFS. Can it be done? Do commercial options exist to pull
off this trick?

My backup plan is to define a shared SAN volume intended for high WRITE
volume, partition it, and each node that needs to scribble manages it's own
partition+filesystem. And it's up to me to make sure no 2 nodes try to own
the same piece.