[Linux-cluster] Using LABEL in "Device Special File" as a resource

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Fri Mar 24 17:01:54 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 14:50 -0700, Tarun Reddy wrote:

> Under RHEL3 clustering, I'm trying to mount a partition using the
> LABEL since iscsi bindings have a tendency to switch around.
>
> Using Google to search the archives, I found this message:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-cluster/2005-October/msg00129.html
>
> but this doesn't seem to work with Redhat Clustering on RHEL3. Is
> there another way of doing this?

It really should work; it works on my RHEL3 system:

[root at magenta root]# e2label /dev/sdd3

[root at magenta root]# e2label /dev/sdd3 futon
[root at magenta root]# e2label /dev/sdd3
futon
[root at magenta root]# vi /etc/cluster.xml
    <service checkinterval="10" id="0" name="foo">
      <device id="0" name="LABEL=futon" sharename="">
               <!--   ^- name used to be /dev/sdd3 -->
        <mount forceunmount="yes" fstype="ext3" mountpoint="/mnt/1"
options=""/>
      </device>
    </service>

Starting the service and running the mount command yielded this on my
machine:

[root at magenta root]# mount
/dev/sdd3 on /mnt/1 type ext3 (rw)

Stopping the service causes the mount to go away correctly on my system.
The label->device resolution has not changed since before the release of
RHCS3, so there must be something missing that we don't know about.
Note that "LABEL" is case-sensitive, and must be all capital letters,
and that no spaces are allowed.

-- Lon