[Linux-cluster] Using LABEL in "Device Special File" as a resource

Celso K. Webber celso at webbertek.com.br
Mon Mar 27 01:11:38 UTC 2006

Hello Tarun,

I had to solve this problem once under RHEL AS v2.1 (first version of Cluster
Manager), and it worked perfectly. By that time my problem was that the
machines had different internal disk configurations, so they had differente
"/dev/sdXX" names.

Under Cluster Suite v3 I solved this problem by pointing the real devices to
raw devices, and /dev/raw/XXX after that. I don't know if this has
implications on performance, but the systems worked apparently well.

I had once some problems with iSCSI on a IBM Blade Center where the iSCSI
volumes changed their /dev/XXX if the machine booted with the USB floppy/cdrom
connected (iSCSI dev was /dev/sdb with no USB floppy, but it was recognized as
/dev/sdc if the USB floppy was connected when the machine booted).
Fortunately, it was a regular filesystem (no cluster) and I could use
LABEL=XXX entries in /etc/fstab.

By this time I cannot figure out how could you solve your problem. I imagine
that it should not be difficult to write a Perl or Shell script that ran just
before the clumanager started, and issuing commands such as "iscsi-ls" it
could map a corresponding raw device, or even changing your /etc/cluster.xml
on the fly and writing it to the quorum using a "cludb" command.

Sorry for not pointing out a better solution, ok?

Regards,

Celso.

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:02:46 -0700, Tarun Reddy wrote

Celso K. Webber <celso at webbertek.com.br>
(41) 3284-3035
(41) 8813-1919