[Linux-cluster] RHCS 3: A NFS only solution possible ?

Celso K. Webber celso at webbertek.com.br
Tue Mar 28 22:55:06 UTC 2006

Hello Frank,

I've just returned from a customer installation where we had the very
same problem.

We set up a meeting to decide between going to CSv4 or not because of a
NetApp storage.

We ended up staying with CSv3, but creating a LUN over iSCSI on the
NetApp filer to serve as a LUN for our raw device quorum partitions.

As far as I can tell, this solution is supported by Red Hat, I've found
some december 2004 news on the Net reporting an agreement between Red
Hat and NetApp to support Cluster Suite over iSCSI. Can someone from Red
Hat confirm this?

The only difficulties I've had is that I was forced to configure the
CSv3 to use broadcast heartbeating. Multicast didn't work in any way for
the quorum devices, with very strange behaviours.

Another try would be using Disk-based tiebraker, but I'll let this issue
for an expertise. We had a 2-node cluster, and the CS GUI recommends IP
tiebraker for a 2-node cluster.

By the way, this configuration was also fully supported by NetApp. Their
consultant was very positive about using this solution over iSCSI and
even told us that we would receive support from NetApp.

As a technical note, NetApp recommended using the iSCSI initiator
provided with RHEL, which was our preferd option.

Hope this helps you.

Celso.

PS: this environment is under production today, supporting Oracle 9i.
The Oracle datafiles are over NFS on NetApp.