[Linux-cluster] MySQL on GFS benchmarks

Sander van Beek - Elexis sander at elexis.nl
Mon May 1 13:08:34 UTC 2006

Hi,

Ofcourse I understand that the performance will be less because of
extra overhead. My goal is to be as close to standalone server
performance as possible, with a certain budget in mind. One of the
demands I have is that the cluster solution I'm building is
transparent to clients, highly available, load balanced, and has to
be scalable up to 2-8 servers. Both replication and mysql-cluster are
not fully transparent, mysql on gfs can be I Think.
I'll keep the list updated when I get more benchmarks.

Best regards,
Sander

At 05:07 1-5-2006, you wrote:
>No matter what you do, a standalone server would be faster than a
>clustered architecture, if it is GFS over SAN, or even the MySQL
>cluster, due to obvious reasons of latency invloved. Anyway what
>exactly are you trying to build with MySQL, I mean what kind of
>performance you want from MySQL, may be you could try Replication or
>if you want good scalability, then you would be better off with the
>MySQL cluster.
>
>Kishore Jalleda
><http://kjalleda.googlepages.com/projects>http://kjalleda.googlepages.com/projects
>

>On 4/26/06, Sander van Beek - Elexis
><<mailto:sander at elexis.nl>sander at elexis.nl > wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We did a quick benchmark on our 2 node rhel4 testcluster with gfs and
> > a gnbd storage server. The results were very sad. One of the nodes
> > (p3 1ghz, 512 mb) could run +/- 2400 insert queries per second when
> > running mysqld-max 5.0.20 on a local ext3 filesystem. With a 2 node
> > GFS over GNBD setup and inserts on both nodes at the same time, we
> > only could do 80 inserts per second. I'm very interested in the
> > perfomance others got in a similar setup. Would the performance
> > increase when we use software based iscsi instead of gnbd?
> > Or should we simply buy SAN equipment? Does anyone have statistics to
> > compare a standalone mysql setup to a small gfs cluster using a san?
> >

> > With best regards,
> > Sander van Beek
> >
> > ---------------------------------------
> >
> > Ing. S. van Beek