[Linux-cluster] < fecing with out any hardware? >

Pool Lee, Mr <14117614@sun.ac.za> 14117614 at sun.ac.za
Mon May 1 14:01:18 UTC 2006

Hi...

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to fence without any type of hardware, besides the pc's.

At the moment I have about 6 machines that I want to have a gfs on these 6 machines but due to budget constraints I cant afford to by hardware. How is it possible to fence without the use of hardware, besides manual fencing.

These machines are your basic desktop pc's, each has a 80gig HD and a 3Ghz P4 processor. They are all connected by a 1 Gigabit switch.

Would if be possible to use GFS or is there any other variant. They all run FC5( Fedora Core 5 ). I need some sort of GFS, because we intend on setting up a mysql clustering system as well.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how.
Friedrich Nietzsche