[Linux-cluster] question about creating partitions and gfs

Jason jason at monsterjam.org
Wed May 10 13:07:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 08:30:58AM -0400, Kovacs, Corey J. wrote:
> Jason, couple of questions.... (And I assume you are working with
> RHEL3+GFS6.0x)

[root at tf1 cluster]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 7)
[root at tf1 cluster]#

[root at tf1 cluster]# rpm -qa | grep -i gfs
GFS-modules-smp-6.0.2.30-0
GFS-devel-6.0.2.30-0
GFS-debuginfo-6.0.2.30-0
GFS-6.0.2.30-0
GFS-modules-6.0.2.30-0
[root at tf1 cluster]#

> 1. Are you actually using raw devices? if so, why?
not intentionally.. ;)

> 2. Does the device /dev/raw/raw64 actually exist on tf2?

[root at tf2 cluster]# !ls
ls -al /dev/raw/raw64
crw-rw----    1 root     disk     162,  64 Jun 24  2004 /dev/raw/raw64
[root at tf2 cluster]#

[root at tf1 cluster]# !ls
ls -al /dev/raw/raw64
crw-rw----    1 root     disk     162,  64 Jun 24  2004 /dev/raw/raw64
[root at tf1 cluster]#

so theyre both there..

> GFS does not use raw devices for anything. The standard Redhat Cluster suite
> does, but not GFS. GFS uses "storage pools".  Also, if memory servs me right,
> later versions of GFS for RHEL3 need to be told what pools to use in the
> "/etc/sysconfig/gfs" config file. Used to be that GFS just did a scan and
> "found" the pools, but no longer I believe.

in /etc/sysconfig/gfs on both boxes, I have

CCS_ARCHIVE="/dev/sdb1" (everything else is commented out)

regards,

Jason