[Linux-cluster] multicast

Patrick Caulfield pcaulfie at redhat.com
Thu May 18 07:25:38 UTC 2006

Wolfgang Pauli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So to use gfs+dlm on a host with two interfaces (each on a different subnet) I
> probably have to use multicasting as dlm does not support multihome setup. I
> guess I have to setup up this one hosts with the two interfaces as a
> forwarder ??? Any hints where I can find docs about this? I found this nice
> howto below, but am not sure whether I have to use ipv4 or ipv6 multicast.
> This might be a strange question, but I am serious ...

With the two interfaces on different subnets, you might be able to get it to
seem to work, but you won't get failover if one interface fails. Specifying
multicast only affects the way cman communicates - DLM uses TCP connections
based on the address passed down by cman. IP4/6 - it makes no difference.

In short: if you need interface failover with cman/dlm, you need to use
bonding - with all that that implies.

--

patrick