[Linux-cluster] building GFS-6.1 from SRPMS

Stanley, Jon Jon.Stanley at savvis.net
Tue May 23 01:37:56 UTC 2006

Yea, you rebuilt the kernel rpm as root *slaps Jason on wrist for
building RPM's as root*, hence the .root extension.  The kernel specfile
contains:

%define rhbsys  %([ -r /etc/beehive-root -o -n "%{?__beehive_build}" ]
&& echo || echo .`whoami`)
%define release %(R="$Revision: 34 $"; RR="${R##: }"; echo
${RR%%?}).EL%{rhbsys}

which basically defines rhbsys as the output of "whoami", and uses that
in the release string.

So you need to install either the redhat supplied kernel (or something
that pretends that it is - you can redefine rhbsys if needed - though
not recommended.  I've had to do that because some third party apps have
depeneded on the version string to determine ABI compatibility, so the
jstanley in there threw it all off - then I redefined it to be something
absurd like 2.6.9-22.0.99 so that it would never be confused with a RH
kernel, and the basis was still obvious, and the script worked), or
modify the cman-kernel specfile to look for the new release of the
kernel (probably the path of least resistance).