[Linux-cluster] Configuring NFS on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4AS / Cluster Suite / GFS 6.1

Kovacs, Corey J. cjk at techma.com
Wed May 24 14:40:42 UTC 2006

Bob, in looking through your document, first I'd like to say "Thanks". Job
well done.

Second, I have a question about how RHCS (either version) handles the rmtab.

At a glance it appears that the cluster simply keeps a copy of the rmtab for
a given NFS instance sync'd wioth a copy on the exported filesystem itself.

For a single point of entry for NFS failover, it's a no-brainer and simply
"works".

However, for a multi server config like you describe where all servers have a
piece of the pie so to speak, how do does the cluster keep from killing the
existing
rmtab file on the failover target.

That is if I have serverA and serverB, both running clusterred NFS services,
and serverA
buys the farm, it seems that when the rmtab from serverA gets sync'd over to
serverB, then
serverB's rmtab gets squashed.

That's a very simplistic view of things but I've not taken the time to go
code diving
to ge the answer of "How, at a low level, is the rmtab handled"...

Thanks again for a good read.

Corey