[Linux-cluster] DLM & RedHat Enterprise Linux

Patrick Caulfield pcaulfie at redhat.com
Wed May 31 14:02:15 UTC 2006

Christos Triantafillou wrote:
> Hello Patrick,
>
> Thanks a lot for your reply.
>
> I have created the devices like this:
>> la /dev/misc
> total 0
> drwxrwxrwx   2 root root     80 May 30 21:32 .
> drwxr-xr-x  11 root root   5820 May 30 21:33 ..
> crwxrwxrwx   1 root root 10, 62 May 30 21:32 dlm-control
> crwxrwxrwx   1 root root 10, 61 May 30 21:32 dlm_default
>
> Now I can run dlmtest as root but as non-root I get this:
>> dlmtest abcd
> locking abcd EX ...
> lock: Operation not permitted
>
> Is it possible to use DLM as non-root?

Yes, if you create the lockspace as root beforehand.

so: root needs to run a program (lstest would do) to create the lockspace.
Then you change the permissions on the dlm_<lockspace> device, either in the
same script or using udev config files.

You can't currently do this for the default lockspace, because it is removed
when it is no longer in use. That bug will be fixed in a future update.

--

patrick