[Linux-cluster] Quorum disk: Can it be a partition?

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Fri Nov 10 14:39:52 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 13:17 +1000, RR wrote:

> thanks for the response. Yeah I have an isolated SAN where the iSCSI
> targets reside and is serviced by stacked Cisco GigE switches and
> there's nothing on this network besides iSCSI traffic.
>
> You didn't say anything about if this can be an NFS type partition

Qdisk needs O_DIRECT access to a block device; it doesn't use file
system semantics.

It might work to do loopback-over-NFS, but I really think it's a poor
idea at best.  I suppose that technically, if it works with O_DIRECT
over loopback-on-nfs, it should also work with a flat file on NFS, but
neither case has been tested...

> (but that would probably not qualify as a non-network path) although
> NFS also uses a fair bit of CPU but I have seen the CPU usage on a
> Dual-Xeon 3.6Ghz computer go upto 44%

> (is there a way in Windows to
> see usage per virtual CPU?)

I have no idea. ;)