[Linux-cluster] Re: rgmanager service initialization on startup

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Fri Nov 10 15:26:02 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 11:13 +0100, Mark Hlawatschek wrote:

> Is it really important to stop unstarted services after a reboot ? If so,
> maybe a service attribute (e.g. <service name="foo" cleanstart="yes"/> could
> be introduced to restain this behaviour.

I disagree with the idea.  Some people have put cluster-managed file
systems in /etc/fstab, causing file system corruption.  Anything -
anything at all - that minimizes the amount of damage caused by mistakes
like this is not only important.

Furthermore, if it's a specific agent that's sending the email, then
you're going to have to set up agent parameter inheritance for service%
cleanstart.  While not hard, it is not an OCF-compatible structure.

> What do you think ?

I think it would be better to add an environment variable which
indicates that the resource manager is an initialization path, and let
agents check for that.

e.g.

_INIT=yes

(or something)

stop)
    if [ -z "$_INIT" ]; then
        email_someone_NOW
    fi
    do_stop_stuff
    exit $?
    ;;

(only exists during the "initialization" path)

While this also isn't OCF-compatible, at least this way, it wouldn't
introduce any incompatibilities between running your agent on CRM and
running it on rgmanager.

-- Lon