[Linux-cluster] occasional cluster crashes

Michael Will mwill at penguincomputing.com
Tue Nov 14 16:21:56 UTC 2006

Fibre channel instead of scsi

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Fabrizio Lippolis [mailto:fabrizio.lippolis at aurigainformatica.it]
Sent:	Tue Nov 14 07:51:19 2006
To:	linux-cluster at redhat.com
Subject:	[Linux-cluster] occasional cluster crashes

Hi list,

some time ago I configured a two node cluster made of two HP servers and
a HP disk array. The two nodes are connected each other by a crossover
ethernet gigabit cable for heartbeat signals. The disk array is GFS
formatted and connected by SCSI cables to both machines.

The cluster is running MySQL, one of the machines runs the MySQL process
at a time while the database files are on the disk array. I checked that
if I kill the process, it will migrate on the second machine. From time
to time I experience occasional lockups of one of the two machines, it
doesn't happen very often and apparently without reason. The only
solution in this case is to brutally switch off the machine and reboot.
The problem started to be much more frequent when I tried to add another
service to the cluster, a LDAP directory. The crashes happened sometimes
more than once a day.

I already wrote about this problem some time ago and somebody answered
that it could be caused because of the connection of the nodes to the
disk array. When a node is accessing the disk array the SCSI bus will
prevent the other node from doing something. Can anybody confirm this?
Does it mean this hardware architecture is not suitable for a cluster?
In this case which architecture would you recommend to let a cluster
like this work smoothly? Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Fabrizio