[Linux-cluster] How to find out what kernel version current GFS rpm is compiled against?

RR ranjtech at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 08:11:52 UTC 2006

On 11/28/06, Riaan van Niekerk <riaan at obsidian.co.za> wrote:
> GFS is priced to compete with Veritas, Poliserve, etc. It is not priced
> to compete with an all-you-can eat license from MS. GFS is a complex
> product (with complex support/certification requirements). If you dont
> need the support/certification, CentOS-based GFS/RHCS is a very
> attractive option.

Not sure if SPLA is all-you-can-eat but it definately gets the
software for cheap but support is a different story. I guess here,
we're really paying for support as the software can be built from the
src without much trouble.

> No - a GFS-kernel version maps to a specific kernel version (at least on
> RH it does). the GFS-kernel to kernel version mapping:
> GFS-kernel-smp-2.6.9-60.1 goes with 2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp
> GFS-kernel-smp-2.6.9-60.3 goes with 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp

<snip>

Ok, I think I've got it sorted now. I have a lot of bizarre mix-match
of software installed on this machine (i.e. I have 3 previous versions
of GFS-kernel-smp lying around) , which really shouldn't be, but all
I've ever done is "yum update". It should've updated it instead of
just continuing to install new packages while leaving the old ones
behind. Maybe I did something wrong, who knows. But what I have is

GFS-kernel-smp-2.6.9-58.3 which when called from "rpm -ql" command,
tells me that it's built for 42.0.2. And I do have the
GFS-kernel-smp-2.6.9-60.3.i686.rpm RPM which I haven't installed yet
as I was waiting to get an understanding of how the upgrades and
corresponding kernels work. Now that I know, I'll upgrade to 42.0.3
and install GFS-kernel-smp-2.6.9-60.3.i686.rpm.

Thanks SO much for clarifying this.

Rgds,
\R