[Linux-cluster] Clustering RHEL 2.1 without Shared Storage?

Kit Gerrits kit at gerritsaa.nl
Wed Nov 29 18:08:35 UTC 2006

Hey All,

I'm very new here, so this question may have passed by a few times already.
I simply couldn't find a way to make it work, so now I'm asking the
Professionals:

--
Is there a way to run a 2-node RHEL 2.1 Cluster without the use of a Shared
Storage box?

I can, if need be, mount a NFS share from either a Linux host or a NAS.

Why 2.1?
Because the application has only been certified for 2.1 and I'm too afraid
of putting it on a machine with a 2.6 kernel.

But, for the love of [insert deity here], WHY???
Because we're already working on replacing the entire system, but this will
take about a year and the current servers might die any minute now.

But if it's that important, why did you only just start the replacement?
a/ I just got hired for the job
b/ It's for a Government Organization, they're not that quick.

What's the current hardware?
The main system is on HP/UX on HP9000/K360 (with a HASS and an AUtoRAID)
There is a subsystem that has been tried and tested on RHEL2.1 on CPQ
DL380-G3 (With a MSW500)
I have 2 CPQ DL320 machines I can use for the back-up plan. (with no Storage
Box)

Can anyone please help me out here?

Thanks,

Kit Gerrits