[Linux-cluster] Quorum disks and two-node clusters

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Mon Oct 9 20:39:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 18:41 +0200, Jos Vos wrote:

> Can someone give a config example of this?  Should the score be
> asymmetric in that case?  A scenario of what happens w.r.t. score,
> votes, and how the respective cman subsystems react to this would
> be nice to have.

A simple example is pinging an upstream router, like an "ip tiebreaker"
in RHCS3.  If you can't ping it, you lose.

More complex examples might involve checking network connectivity, then
following up with a check for particular service components.  It's up to
the administrator to make sure the logic makes sense for their
particular installation.

As an example, here's a totally untested, unverified, and probably
broken script that is meant to be the only heuristic (give it 10 points
or something in the configuration).  It does sequential checks of
multiple things.  The idea is that this script should give weight to the
owner of a particular service in the event of a network partition, but
ensures that you have "upstream" network connectivity first (after all,
what's the point of running a network service if no one can reach the
service?).  It assumes a lot of things, like node name == `hostname`,
service having an IP address, etc...

This is just one idea.  I need to write up more/better examples in the
near future.  If anyone else has ideas to add, feel free.

When the score drops below 1/2, qdiskd advertises to CMAN that the
"quorum device" is gone.  CMAN loses local votes and the node becomes
inquorate.  There's a bug in qdisk that prevents qdisk from rebooting
the node the way it is documented to upon this loss of score.  (This is
already fixed in CVS.)

-- Lon

#!/bin/bash
SVC=test
SVCIP=10.1.1.10  # Service IP
TBIP=10.1.1.1    # IP tiebreaker

#
# Check tiebreaker(s).
#
ping -c1 -t1 $TBIP
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
        exit 1
fi

#
# If rgmanager is not running, we are quorate.  The administrator either
# didn't start it, or stopped it cleanly (the watchdog should catch
# rgmanager crashes).
#
if ! service rgmanager status; then
        exit 0
fi

#
# Cut up the XML attrs of the service output from clustat into chunks
# XXX is this even possible in a network partition?  It should be
#     with the -f option to clustat, but untested.
#
while read info; do
        declare field val

        field=${info/=*/}
        val=${info/*=/}

        # XXX breaks up last_transition_str.  Fix later.
        if [ "$field" != "$val" ] &&
           [ "$field" != "last_transition_str" ]; then
                eval x_$field=$val
        fi
done < <(clustat -fxs $SVC | grep "name=\"$SVC\"" | \
	 sed -e s/[\\\ ]\\+/\\\n/g)

if [ "$x_service_owner" = "" ] ||
   [ "$x_service_owner" = "none" ]; then
        #
        # Service disabled/failed/stopped/otherwise not running or
        # state unavailable (maybe rgmanager's just booting?)
        #
        exit 0
fi

if [ "$x_service_owner" = "`hostname`" ]; then
        #
        # I own the service.
        #
        exit 0
fi

#
# I don't own the service.
# If we can see the IP and we're not the owner, we're quorate.
#
ping -c1 -t1 $SVCIP
exit $?