[Linux-cluster] Re: Cluster Suite 4 failover problem

Jonathan Daniels jon.daniels at voxsurf.com
Fri Oct 20 09:36:25 UTC 2006

I had a very similar set of problems just recently and found that
uninstalling the "fence" RPM solved about 90% of them, incuding a
hanging RGManager which required me to "switch-off-and-switch-on" the
servers many times. I suspect that the problem was more to do with my
unfamiliarity with fencing, but I wonder if there are some issues when
running fencing and having no fence devices in use, and how the fenced
daemon then interacts with RGManager. I do know that there are (fixed)
similar lockup issues with RG Manager rgmanager-1.9.46-0, CMAN
cman-kernel-2.6.9-43.8 and kernel 2.6.9-34 which disappear with an
upgrade to kernel 2.6.9-34.0.1 and CMan cman-kernel-smp-2.6.9-43.8.3,
but a new set of problems were introduced for me when I did that so I
rolled back and uninstalled fenced, et viola!

I still find that on occasion I have to kill -9 the rgmanger process
(sometimes I have to do it more than once) and I realise that an
unfenced cluster is unsupported, but it solved the problems for me.

Hope this helps,
Jon