[Linux-cluster] GFS Shut down script

Robert Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Sat Oct 21 04:36:31 UTC 2006

isplist at logicore.net wrote:
> I have not been able to find a way of shutting down the GFS/Cluster when I
> reboot and so have been messing up my cluster.
>
> Where could I put the commands (which file is part of some other shutdown
> sequence) so that when I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL or type shutdown for example, that
> the commands will run, shutting down my cluster cleanly.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

In theory, when you do /sbin/reboot or shutdown, it should automatically
call the
service shutdown scripts, at least if you're using Fedora or RHEL.
These are the same scripts that start your services.  If you're running RHEL
or some variation of that software (i.e. STABLE cvs branch, etc.) they
will be:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/ccsd
/etc/rc.d/init.d/cman
/etc/rc.d/init.d/fenced
/etc/rc.d/init.d/clvmd
/etc/rc.d/init.d/gfs

They are started in that order, usually because init finds them in
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S* (for runlevel 3) or /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S* (for runlevel 5).
They are likewise stopped in the opposite order, as dictated by
matching K scripts at runlevel 6: /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K*

For the HEAD branch (RHEL5, FC6, etc.) there are only 3:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/cman
/etc/rc.d/init.d/clvmd
/etc/rc.d/init.d/gfs

Again, started in that order, and stopped in reverse order.

Those scripts should take care of shutting down the cluster cleanly.
However, if the gfs service can't unmount the gfs mount points
because they're in use, then all bets are off and your cluster may
not shut down cleanly.

You may also want to take a look at the faq, at this question:
http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/faq.html#cman_shutdown

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob Peterson