[Linux-cluster] LVS Director : Monitoring HTTPS site ?

Brenton Rothchild brentonr at dorm.org
Tue Oct 24 14:08:10 UTC 2006

FM wrote:
> Hello,
> On the Director :  I'm trying to monitor  an HTTPS server.
>
> The GET / HTTP/1.0 of course does not ouput the expect HTTP string : HTTP
>
> How do you handle HTTPS sites ?

We've used an external check script with nanny to check via 'wget':

------ file: /usr/local/bin/lvs_check_https ------
#!/bin/bash
LINES=`wget -q -O - --no-check-certificate https://$1:$2 | wc -c`
if [ $LINES -gt "0" ]; then
         echo "OK"
else
         echo "FAILURE"
fi
exit 0
------ end file ------

and the corresponding entries in lvs.cf:

------ file: /etc/sysconfig/ha/lvs.cf ------
virtual https_server_XYZ {
     send_program = "/usr/local/bin/lvs_check_https %h %p"
     expect = "OK"
}
------ end file ------

This script, of course, assumes that the web server respond with _something_
to indicate it's up, vs. _nothing_ to indicate it's down.

It's worked quite well for us for the last year or so.

-Brenton Rothchild