[Linux-cluster] Fencing Hardware

James Parsons jparsons at redhat.com
Tue Oct 24 19:15:35 UTC 2006

David Brieck Jr. wrote:

> On 10/24/06, isplist at logicore.net <isplist at logicore.net> wrote:
>
>> > Is there a reason you're not considering power fencing? We use APC
>> > switched PDUs for our fence device and they work beautifully.
>>
>> No, I'll consider anything that's not too costly up front, that
>> allows growth
>> and that's fairly easy to work with.
>>
>> mike
>>

> We buy all our hardware through dell so you might be able to find
> better prices than those listed here, but any of the APC Switched PDUs
> will work for you. Of course you need to make sure they fit into your
> data center's power grid as appropriate, but you can pickup a 24 port
> PDU for between $600 and $700 depending on your power setup.
>
> http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&category_id=6250&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&nf=18037~0~130093&~ck=anav
>

> We have dual power supples in all our servers so we use two ports per
> server since the rack is on two different circuits, but if you used
> the Y cable and weren't worried about that level of redundancy then 24
> ports would go a long way.

In addition, of all the available agents in the cluster suite, apc has
alot to be said for it. The agent was tested at the apc facility in
Rhode Island last year on all of their current 79XX series switches and
it did great. A new agent is being coded right now that supports outlet
naming and outlet grouping. There is also a really dependable snmp
version of the apc fence agent that ships with cluster suite (but
requires doing a couple of chores to use it -- instructions are provided
in a README).

We work hard to keep all of the agent scripts current with new firmware
revs and such -- but I guess the proximity of APC and the dependability
of the agent (It gets looked at alot) and the switches make them a
pretty safe fencing choice.

PS: I hold no interest in APCC! My only interest is in reliable fencing
-- whatever your choice may be :)

-Jim