[Linux-cluster] Cluster vs Distributed? & MySQL Cluster?

isplist at logicore.net isplist at logicore.net
Thu Oct 26 13:47:37 UTC 2006

> You could create a gfs based diskless shared root cluster. That means, all
> nodes are booting from the same shared storage boot device and share the
> same root device. That'll give you a filesystem based ssi and the
> flexibility you need.

That is exactly what I'd like to do. The nodes cannot boot from a diskette
however but I do have network boot available to me.

> To achieve the maximum flexibility, you could create one physical cluster
> that hosts different shared root devices which can be used as shared root
> devices for different "sub" - clusters (web, mail, mysql).

So, concatenate all of the drive space and form multiple roots? Then just add
storage space to the overall storage on the fiber channel side? I've been
doing it the other way around, I've been creating multiple allocations of the
centralized storage so that I would have a web root, a mail root, etc.

> have a look at http://www.open-sharedroot.org
> and http://www.redhat.com/magazine/021jul06/features/gfs_update/

U certainly will, thank you very much for the input Mark.

Mike