[Linux-cluster] Is IPMI fencing considered certified by Red Hat?

Celso K. Webber celso at webbertek.com.br
Thu Sep 7 03:59:46 UTC 2006

Hello friends,

Regarding Red Hat Cluster Suite and/or GFS, could someone from Red Hat
please tell me if the use of IPMI embedded devices from the servers'
motherboards is officially certified by Red Hat?

I'd like to have this information so that we can recommend (or not) to
customers the use of IPMI as a secure form of fencing.

We had some bad experiences recently on some servers where only one of
the onboard NICs listened to the IPMI over LAN packets, so it appeared
to us that sometimes IPMI is not that safe as a fence device. Of course
the Cluster software will assume nothing when the fencing fails, but the
bad thing is that there is no automatic failover on this situation.

Thank you all,

Celso.
--
*Celso Kopp Webber*

celso at webbertek.com.br <mailto:celso at webbertek.com.br>

*Webbertek - Opensource Knowledge*
(41) 8813-1919
(41) 3284-3035

--
Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivírus e
 acredita-se estar livre de perigo.