[Linux-cluster] IPMI fencing on an IBM x366

Celso K. Webber celso at webbertek.com.br
Thu Sep 28 04:36:16 UTC 2006

Hi Jos,

I've configured a pair of x366s in the past successfully to use the
builtin IPMI device as a fence device, these systems run RHELv3u6 and
Cluster Suite v3u6. They seem to work quite well until today. Since the
systems are into production in a client, we didn't upgrade anything
since then but it seems to work ok.

I've not tried anything with IBM servers under Cluster Suite v4, though,
but I imagine it works ok too.

The IPMI device on the x366 servers was configured in the traditional
way, login+password with admin rights, IP+netmask configured and
everything worked ok. IBM's implementation of IPMI over LAN respond to
"pings" (ICMP echos), while Dell's don't. But you will not be able to
connect to the IPMI device from the machine itself, you have to try from
an outside machine, ok?

Hope this gives you some light.

Best regards,

Celso.

Jos Vos escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to use the built-in IPMI support of an IBM x366 server
> with RHEL CS?
>
> I think it is not compatible with RSA II, and I also tried IPMI Lan,
> but none of them seems to work.
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks,
>
> --
> --    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>
> --    X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV   |   Phone: +31 20 6938364
> --    Amsterdam, The Netherlands        |     Fax: +31 20 6948204

*Celso Kopp Webber*

--
Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivírus e
 acredita-se estar livre de perigo.