[Linux-cluster] Disaster recovery node

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Mon Apr 2 16:35:31 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 11:51:38AM -0400, Neil Watson wrote:
> We have a two node DB2 cluster, using the Red Hat Cluster Suite,  in
> active-standby mode.  We would like to add a third node located at a
> disaster recovery site.  This node must NOT be made active
> automatically.  Only a manual operation should activate this node. Is it
> possible to do this with the RHCS?

How will you be replicating storage between the two sites?

You can do this one of a couple of ways:

* Don't run the disaster recovery node, but have it ready to go.

Instead, set it up exactly like the a '1-node' cluster with the same
services as the other cluster.  When the other site fails, ensure the
other nodes are dead and turn on the machine.

* Run the cluster software on the disaster recovery node (and run the
node)

You'll need to manually increase the number of votes it gets when the
primary site goes down.  After that, you will need to fence the other
two nodes (or verify they're dead).