[Linux-cluster] Making a cloned clustered VG mountable on abackup media server?

rhurst at bidmc.harvard.edu rhurst at bidmc.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 4 14:31:46 UTC 2007

I believe I found my answer to question #1, although I would welcome any
suggestions on improving this process:

First, scp /etc/lvm/backup/VGWATSON (the origin VG that was cloned) to
the backup media server (intermezzo).  Also get its PV uuid:

# pvscan -u | grep VGWATSON
  PV /dev/sdae1        with UUID ZRcfam-06Ay-Ddby-f9lM-Pdkt-Pzqn-f0AB2T
VG VGWATSON     lvm2 [420.00 GB / 92.50 GB free]

Then execute the following on the backup media server (intermezzo):

# parted /dev/sdz set 1 lvm on

This activates its partition table and /dev/sdz1 becomes available.  I
will need to add to my script the whereabouts of this device, as it may
'walk' from a reboot, i.e., use powermt display dev=all and search for
its CLARiiON ID.

# pvcreate --restorefile ./VGWATSON --uuid
ZRcfam-06Ay-Ddby-f9lM-Pdkt-Pzqn-f0AB2T /dev/sdz1
# vgrename VGWATSON VGWATSON-CLONE
# vgchange -a y /dev/VGWATSON-CLONE

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 12:52 -0400, rhurst at bidmc.harvard.edu wrote:

> I am having problems making a clustered VG visible on a backup media
> server.
>
> The originating RHEL cluster issues the CLARiiON cloning process, and
> it completes successfully, to another volume.  That clone volume LUN
> is visible to the backup media server (outside of the cluster) only.
>
> Q1: What do I need to do on the backup media server's LVM to activate
> this newly-made VG?  vgscan --mknodes is not helping any, but I do see
> some SCSI references, i.e., /dev/sdz to its 420GB sized disk.  Is
> there a safe way to vgexport / vgimport the original VG map to this
> server?
>
> Q2: I loaded GFS software on the backup media server, so do I need to
> modify the VG's lvols superblock to a changed PROTO value of nolock to
> make it mountable for backup?
>
> Thanks.

Robert Hurst, Sr. Caché Administrator
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
1135 Tremont Street, REN-7
Boston, Massachusetts   02120-2140
617-754-8754 ∙ Fax: 617-754-8730 ∙ Cell: 401-787-3154