[Linux-cluster] NFSv4 with ACL-Support on GFS

Christian Brandes christian.brandes at forschungsgruppe.de
Mon Apr 16 15:05:59 UTC 2007

Hi Marc and Bob,

>>> I would like to set up an active/active cluster of redundant NFSv4
>>> servers with ACLs that have the same GFS file system exported at the
>>> same time.
>>>
>>> At the moment I have a two node cluster of test servers with a GFS
>>> exported over NFSv4, but I can not get or set ACLs with getfacl or
>>> setfacl, which is the same behavior I had with samba.
>>>
>>> Some weeks ago I tried two SAMBA servers on GFS, though it was said not
>>> to work in the Cluster FAQ.
>>> It seemed to work -- but no ACLs.

>> 1. Are you mounting gfs on the nfs server with the "-o acl" option?
>> 2. Can you do setfacl and getfacl from the gfs host (i.e. not through nfs)?
>> 3. On what version of the cluster software and gfs are you seeing this?
Sorry for the late answers:

1. Yes, /gfs is mounted with "-o acl" but not the / filesystem and that
is the point.
I was not aware that it is not sufficient to mount the filesystem itself
"-o acl" but also the root fs.
But if you do it works with NFSv4 as well as with Samba.
Now that I found out I took my Samba setup from some weeks ago and setup
a Samba PDC and two BDCs that offer the same GFS at a time and I am very
happy that it works. Finally I configured an IP-Cluster-Resource that is
failed over and use that to mount SMB-shares e.g. home directories on
SMB clients.

2. Yes, I can now and I could before / was "-o acl", too.

> Hi Christian,
> Yes but samba - without having "shared shares" in a multiple writer
> configuration - works since the beginning even with acl. You need the -o acl
> and everything should be fine.
OK, but what is the problem with "shared shares"?
Do 2 instances of Samba on 1 server, serving the same shares cause problems?
Why do they do on GFS with different machines?
E.g. I nerver had problems accessing a combined Samba/NFS share by SMB
an NFS at the same time.

I am still going to try out different scenarios.

Thanks and best regards
	Christian