[Linux-cluster] clvmd / cman / fence, in order to make xen cluster

jmfaidy at aic.fr jmfaidy at aic.fr
Tue Apr 17 15:40:19 UTC 2007

Hi everybody,
first, i'll explain my goal, and the way i think i'm suppose to do
this, then i'll explain my probleme, but please, tell me if i'm wrong
with the lead i follow.
I want to make a xen architecture stable, redoundant with no single
point of failure.
So in order to make this, i think i've to have 2 dom0 linked by
heartbeat, accessing to a storage fileserver (where the domU are
stored) by ISCSI (software sicsi, not hardware), and i should make
clustered logical volume (with clvmd-lvm2) on the exported iscsi
partition. And i will also make drbd between 2 filesservers.

So my problem, is at the begining of my quest (well, i allready made
work xen with iscsi), when i want to use clvm on the exported iscsi
partition. Since I cant start clvmd, (it tells me "clvmd could not
connect to cluster manager") i work on configuring cman, i must do
that, no? (no cman = no clvmd, right?)
So here I have a lot of problem, right now, I have the cluster.conf on
primary node (xentest.aic.fr) :

<?xml version="1.0"?>
  <cluster name="XenCluster" config_version="4">

  <cman two_node="1" expected_votes="1">
   </cman>
  <clusternodes>
    <clusternode name="xentest.aic.fr" nodeid="1">
      <fence>
        <method name="human">
          <device name="last_resort" ipaddr="10.0.22.203"/>
        </method>
      </fence>
   </clusternode>

   <clusternode name="xentest2.aic.fr" nodeid="2">
     <fence>
       <method name="human">
         <device name="last_resort" ipaddr="10.0.22.176"/>
       </method>
     </fence>
   </clusternode>
  </clusternodes>

  <fencedevice name="last_resort" agent="fence_manual"/>
</cluster>

then i do :
on primary node :
ccsd
service start cman
Starting cluster:
    Mounting configfs... done
    Starting ccsd... done
    Starting cman... done
    Starting daemons... done
    Starting fencing...

yes, i've a problem with fencing devide, i dont understand well how it
work, even by reading :http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/doc/usage.txt
http://people.mandriva.com/~aginies/doc/procdure_lvmgnbd
http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/rh-cs-en-4/s1-config-powercontroller.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Cluster_Administration/s2-create-fence-devices-conga-CA.html
im still lost with fence devices.

Well, then i do cman_tool join -c XenCluster
with cman_tool nodes i see :
Node  Sts   Inc   Joined               Name
    1   M     20   2007-04-17 17:07:49  xentest.aic.fr
    2   X      0                        xentest2.aic.fr

so, my second node, is not allready there, normal.

On 2nd node:
i launch ccsd,
if i try "cman_tool join -c XenCluster" -> cman_tool: ccsd is not running
or
service cman start
Starting cluster:
    Mounting configfs... done
    Starting ccsd... done
    Starting cman... failed
/usr/sbin/cman_tool: ccsd is not running

so i'm sad, and i tried with a copy of the cluster.conf file on 2nd node,
i relaunch ccsd
then cman_tool join -c XenCluster
seems to work, bu actually, when i do "cman_tool nodes" i have :
Node  Sts   Inc   Joined               Name
    1   X      0                        xentest.aic.fr
    2   M     36   2007-04-17 17:44:24  xentest2.aic.fr

As if there were 2 cluster named XenCluster, right?

So i'm really sad, an d i dont know what to do anymore, if someone
have just a hint to me, it would be really great.
btw : uname -r = 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen

have a nice evenning,
tx for reading me, i know, my explanation is long, and i'm sur it
don't worth it.