[Linux-cluster] clvm problems with multiple clusters in same vlan

Patrick Caulfield pcaulfie at redhat.com
Thu Apr 26 14:17:51 UTC 2007

Ramon van Alteren wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> We're having problems with running multiple clusters in the same vlan.
> For some reason clvmd refuses to start properly.
>
> We think (but cannot completely confirm) that clvm is informed by the
> clvmd on the other cluster about volumegroups
> which it can't reach because it can't reach the underlying storage /
> physical volumes.

This sounds unlikely. clvmd can only talk to other clvmds in the same cluster -
it has no way of communicating outside the cluster on a cman system.

> The sympotoms are:
>
> node fails on reboot with hung clvmd daemon
> no output from clvmd even when started with debug  (clvmd -d)
>
> versions:
> Cluster LVM daemon version: 2.02.09 (2006-08-17)
> Protocol version:           0.2.1
>
> cman_tool 1.03.00 (built Oct 19 2006 10:58:21)
> Copyright (C) Red Hat, Inc.  2004  All rights reserved.
>
> ccsd 1.03.00 (built Oct 19 2006 10:58:17)
> Copyright (C) Red Hat, Inc.  2004  All rights reserved.
>
> The node does join the cman cluster group and the defined fence group.
> If the second cluster is shutdown nodes reboot without problems.

Is there a clvmd lockspace? if not it might be something simple like the cluster
not having quorum.

--
Patrick

Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street,
Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 ITE, UK.
Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 3798903